Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ecclesia; notes from Pastor John Durham.

We exist to demonstrate and declare the good news of Christ in Waco and the world.

The enemy's plan? Distract us. Divide us. Destroy us.

What divides churches today? It is personality and style. Just the differences in worship and preaching. When we fall to preferences, we are falling to the trap the enemy has set for us.

[Update January 4, 2014: That couldn't be more true, and I've experienced it over the past semester of college and church hopping. In my search for a new church I was able to go to many different churches that didn't believe any differently than I, yet had so many differing ways in how they did things. Dayspring is intellectual and incorporates famous philosopher's writing. Fellowship Bible plays contemporary music but also feels like a church from ten years ago, or so my mom said. Harris Creek caters to the younger crowd, with upbeat music and on-top-of-it technology and graphics. First Woodway is large but still feels like family, with my previous worship pastor leading; their big service worship is meaningful. My church home, Acts, is small and close-knit, reaching out just as much as they disciple those in the church. I loved them all, and just felt a pull towards Acts and the challenge God gave me to be bold in my faith in certain ways. But, I digress. My point? I was able to experience God at all of these places, despite their differences. But there are still rivalries and disagreements and divisions that shouldn't exist simply because one group likes hymns and one group likes David Crowder.]

The enemy HAS come to destroy us.

God, give us confidence in prayer. 

We pray to the One who is in control of the world, the One who is faithful to His Word.

God, make us generous. 

We own nothing, and Christ owns everything. It's amazing how much more generous you can become when you realize everything you own is God's. It's easier to spend someone else's money.

We should give humbly, there should be no pride when we give. We need to give sacrificially.
Acts 4:34, people would sell their houses.

"A Gospel saturated church is a church filled with people who give everything they have because they understand that in Christ, they already have everything they need." -- Billy Graham's grandson

God, send us out.

The Holy Spirit will lead us, and use us.

God, give us a heart to advance the Gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment